"The Effects of Changes in Social Security’s Delayed Retirement Credit: Evidence from Administrative Data." (Mark Duggan, Irena Dushi, Sookyo Jeong, and Gina Li) Under revision for Journal of Public Economics
"Getting the Price Right? The Impact of Competitive Bidding in the Medicare Program.” (with Hui Ding, Mark Duggan, and Amanda Starc) Under revision for Review of Economics and Statistics
"Heterogeneity in the Impact of Privatizing Social Health Insurance: Evidence from California's Medicaid Program."(Mark Duggan, Craig Garthwaite, and Adelina Yanyue Wang)
"The Minimum Wage and Social Security Disability Insurance." (with Gopi Shah Goda and Benjamin Wittenbrink)
- "Do CEOs Know Best? Evidence From China." (with Nicholas Bloom, Hong Cheng, Hongbin Li, and Franklin Qian)
"The Impact of the Affordable Care Act: Evidence from California’s Hospital Sector." (with Atul Gupta and Emilie Jackson), forthcoming in American Economic Journal: Economic Policy.
"To Work for Yourself, for Others, or Not At All? How Disability Benefits Affect the Employment Decisions of Older Veterans." (with Courtney Coile and Audrey Guo) forthcoming in Journal of Policy Analysis and Management.
"The Effect of Medicare Part D on Pharmaceutical Prices and Utilization."(with Gopi Shah Goda and Gina Li) forthcoming in Tax Policy and the Economy.
- "The Impact of Industry Consolidation on Government Procurement: Evidence from Department of Defense Contracting." (with Rodrigo Carril) Journal of Public Economics, Volume 184, April 2020, 104-141.
- "The Effects of the Affordable Care Act on Health Insurance Coverage and Labor Market Outcomes." (with Gopi Shah Goda, and Emilie Jackson) National Tax Journal, June 2019, 72 (2), 261–322.
- "When Labor’s Lost: Health, Family Life, Incarceration, and Education in a Time of Declining Economic Opportunity for Low-Skilled Men." (with Courtney C. Coile) Journal of Economic Perspectives, 33:2 (2019), 191–210.
- "The Consequences of Health Care Privatization: Evidence from Medicare Advantage Exits." (with Jonathan Gruber and Boris Vabson) American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 10:1 (2018), 153-86.
- "Who Benefits when the Government Pays More? Pass-Through in the Medicare Advantage Program." (with Amanda Starc and Boris Vabson) Journal of Public Economics, Volume 141, Sept 2016, 50-67.
- "The Impact of Disability Benefits on Labor Supply: Evidence from the VA's Disability Compensation Program." (with David Autor, Kyle Greenberg, and David Lyle) American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 8:3 (2016), 31-68.
- "The Market Impacts of Pharmaceutical Product Patents in Developing Countries: Evidence from India." (with Craig Garthwaite and Aparajita Goyal) American Economic Review, 106:1 (2016), 99-135.
- "The Supplemental Security Income Program." (with Melissa Kearney and Stephanie Rennane) in Means Tested Programs in the U.S., Volume 2, Robert Moffitt ed., University of Chicago Press (2016).
- "The Impact of Market Size and Composition on Health Insurance Premiums: Evidence from the First Year of the ACA." (with Michael Dickstein, Joe Orsini, and Pietro Tebaldi) American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings, 105:5 (2015), 120-25.
- "Veterans' Labor Force Participation: What Role Does the VA's Disability Compensation Program Play?" (with Courtney Coile and Audrey Guo) American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings, 105:5 (2015), 131-36.
- "How Does Risk Selection Respond to Risk Adjustment? New Evidence from the Medicare Advantage Program." (with Jason Brown, Ilyana Kuziemko, and William Woolston) American Economic Review, 104:10 (2014), 33335-64.
- "Moral Hazard and Claims Deterrence in Private Disability Insurance." (with David Autor and Jon Gruber) American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 6:4 (2014), 110-41.
- "Perverse Reverse Price Competition: Average Wholesale Prices and Medicaid Pharmaceutical Spending." (with Abby Alpert and Judith Hellerstein) Journal of Public Economics, 108:C (2013), 44-62.
- "Has the Shift to Managed Care Reduced Medicaid Spending? Evidence from State and Local-Level Mandates." (with Tamara Hayford) Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 32:3 (2013), 505-535.
- "The Patient-Centered Medical Home: An Evaluation of a Single Private Payer Demonstration in New Jersey." (with Rachel Werner, Elizabeth Stuart, Katia Duey, Jingsan Zhu, and Lin Yang) Medical Care, 51:6 (2013), 487-493.
- "Employer Insurance under Employer Mandates and Subsidized Exchanges: Time to Dump or Stay?" (with Mark Pauly) Health Management,Policy, and Innovation, 1:2 (2013), 45-50.
- "Paying a Premium on Your Premium? Consolidation in the US Health Insurance Industry."(with Leemore Dafny and Subramaniam Ramanarayan) American Economic Review, 102:2 (2012), 1161-1185.
- "Empirical Evidence on the Value of Pharmaceuticals." (with Craig Garthwaite) in The Oxford Handbook of Economics of the Biopharmaceutical Industry, P. Danzon and S. Nicholson eds., Oxford University Press (2012).
- "The Short-Term and Localized Effect of Gun Shows: Evidence from California and Texas."(with Randi Hjalmarsson and Brian Jacob) Review of Economics and Statistics, 93:3 (2011), 786-799.
- "Battle Scars: the Puzzling Decline in Employment and Rise in Disability Receipt among Vietnam-Era Veterans." (with David Autor and David Lyle) American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings, 101:3 (2011), 339-344.
- "The Medium-Term Impact of Medicare Part D on Pharmaceutical Prices." (with Fiona Scott Morton) American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings, 101:3 (2011), 387-392.
- "Federal Policy and the Rise in Disability Enrollment: Evidence for the Veterans Affairs Disability Compensation Program." (with Robert Rosenheck and Perry Singleton) Journal of Law and Economics, 53:2 (2010), 379-398.
- "Supporting Work: A Proposal for Modernizing the U.S. Disability Insurance System." (with David Autor) Center for American Progress and The Hamilton Project, (2010).
- "The Effect of Medicare Part D on Pharmaceutical Prices and Utilization." (with Fiona Scott Morton) American Economic Review, 100:1 (2010), 590-607.
- "The Economics, Opportunities, and Challenges of Health Insurance Exchanges." (with Bob Kocher) The Economicsts' Voice, 7:5 (2010), 1-5.
- "Why Are the Disability Rolls Skyrocketing? The Contribution of Population Characteristics, Economic Conditions, and Program Gene." (with Scott Imberman) Health at Older Ages, edited by D. Cutler and D. Wise, University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL, (2009), 337-379.
- "Estimating the Impact of Medical Innovation: A Case Study of HIV Antiretroviral Treatments." (with William Evans) Forum for Health Economics and Policy, 11:2 (2008), 1-39.
- "Providing Prescription Drug Coverage to the Elderly: America's Experiment with Medicare Part D." (with Patrick Healy and Fiona Scott Morton) Journal of Economic Perspectives, 22:4 (2008), 69-92.
- "Aching to Retire? The Rise in the Full Retirement Age and its Impact on the Disability Rolls." (with Perry Singleton and Jae Song) Journal of Public Economics, 91:7 (2007), 1327-50.
- "The Impact of Child SSI Enrollment on Household Outcomes." (with Melissa Kearney) Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, 26:4 (2007), 861-886.
- "Distinguishing Between Income and Substitution Effects in Disability Insurance." (with David Autor) American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings, 97:2 (2007), 119-124.
- "The Distortionary Effects of Government Procurement: Evidence from Medicaid Prescription Drug Purchasing." (with Fiona Scott Morton) Quarterly Journal of Economics, 121:1 (2006), 1-31.
- "The Growth in the Social Security Disability Rolls: A Fiscal Crisis Unfolding." (with David Autor) Journal of Economic Perspectives, 20:3 (2006), 71-96.
- "Do New Prescription Drugs Pay for Themselves? The Case of Second-Generation Antipsychotics." Journal of Health Economics, 24:1 (2005), 1-31.
- "Does Contracting Out Increase the Efficiency of Government Programs? Evidence from Medicaid HMOs." Journal of Public Economics, 88:12 (2004), 2549-2572.
- "Guns and Suicide: Correlation or Causation?" in Evaluating Gun Policy, edited by Philip Cook and Jens Ludwig, Brookings Institution Press, (2003), 41-67.
- "The Rise in the Disability Rolls and the Decline in Unemployment." (with David Autor) Quarterly Journal of Economics, 118:1 (2003), 157-206.
- "Winning Isn't Everything: Corruption in Sumo Wrestling." (with Steven Levitt) American Economic Review, 92:5 (2002), 1594-1605.
- "Hospital Market Structure and the Behavior of Not-for-Profit Hospitals." RAND Journal of Economics, 33:3 (2002), 433-446.
- "More Guns, More Crime." Journal of Political Economy, 109:5 (2001), 1086-1114.
- "Hospital Ownership and Public Medical Spending." Quarterly Journal of Economics, 115:4 (2000), 1343-1374.